Interesting thoughts on why Indian resist paying taxes, in an open letter to the Prime Minister.
This is what we honest citizens feel about our Governments - Central and State...
On behalf of professionals & businessmen, I am sending you some facts ..
Please try to unnderstand.
We are not doing Tax '"Chori"'... this is tax saving (a bit of evading too).
This is to ensure security of our family, kids and their future for any adversity.
1. We bought Generators/Inverter in our houses, because Govt. failed to provide constant electricity.
2. We installed submersible pumps, because Govt. failed to provide water.
3. We hired own security guards, because Govt. failed to provide security.
4. We send our kids to private schools, because Govt failed to provide good education in public schools.
5. We headed for private hospitals to avail proper care and treatment, because Govt. failed to provide good public hospitals.
6. We bought cars because Govt. failed to provide good transportation.
Finally.., what the tax payer gets in return at the retirement, when he needs most to survive ?
Nothing, no social security.
But instead all his hard earned income resource is used by Government to distribute subsidies and freebies in the name of welfare schemes among masses to buy "free votes" to those who don't pay any taxes.
Above all what Govt do with our (tax) money?
Open courts-which do not give judgement.
Open police station which works for politicians only and not protect citizens.
Open hospital which do not treat us well.
Build roads wherein 40-100% of money spent goes in vain due to corruption.
Like western democracies, if Indian Government could provide all the above, why would anyone save taxes ?
We all know that the major tax revenues collected from us are consumed by Government officials and politicians (billions of dollars are lying in foreign banks).
A manufacturer works at a margin of between 2% to 10% , whereas government needs 30% of his income to cover it's expenditure. How fair it is all ?
That's the reason no one wants to pay taxes.
We save taxes for our necessities, family, for our old age, for our safety, security and this phenomenon is the sign of failure of Government in discharging it's own functions fairly and efficiently. Government alone is responsible for this.
But on the other hand...
We challenge that if Govt announces that Rs.1000 crore is required for Indian Army or floods or earthquake victims !!!
The same amount will be deposited within couple of days by these "Tax Savers" only.
We will come forward with open hearts.