Shiksha.com, one of India’s largest career and college selection website conducted a survey on Engineering aspirants & rolls out the survey report titled, "Engineering Outlook 2019," that touches every aspects of students who wants to pursue Engineering degree.
"Engineering Outlook 2019," a study on and for Engineering students conducted by Shiksha.com highlights 9 different aspects.
1. Average count of Engineering Entrance Exams given by students across regions in India - As per Shiksha’s report, 83% of the students in West & 80% in Central enrol for average 3 or less Engineering Entrance Exams whereas 33% of the students in North & 29% in East enrol for 4 or more Entrance Exams and 21% of the students in South enrol for 5 or more Engineering Entrance Exams
2. Popular Engineering Entrance Exams across regions - JEE Main and State Engineering Exam are the most popular Engineering entrance exams all over India. There are other private entrance exams that are quite popular in different regions and are among the top choices. In North and Central India, VITEEE and BITSAT are as popular as state engineering entrance exams.
Engineering aspirants can visit https://www.shiksha.com/engineering/exams-st-2 for Top Engineering Entrance Exams in India.
3. College location preference (region-wise) for Engineering students in India- Shiksha’s report shows mixed response in terms of preference of college location. The study shows 90% of the students from South and West want to study in their respective region. However, only 70% of the students from Central and East want to study in their respective regions. Students from all across India, especially western India are least interested in studying engineering in Central India.
Engineering students can visit https://www.shiksha.com/b-tech/ranking/top-engineering-colleges-in-india/44-2-0-0-0 for Top Engineering Colleges in India.
4. Cities preferred by students to study Engineering in India - The report shows only 30% students based in Eastern India want to study in their own region. The majority of the students are interested in studying in metro cities such as Delhi and Bangalore. Students based out of Central India prefer Indore over other large metro cities for studying Engineering.
5. Information most wanted by aspirants while researching for Engineering colleges in India - As per the findings of Shiksha 2016 survey, the preferences of students have deeply changed over the last 2 years. College reviews and College rankings are the only categories of information that have grown in degree of importance over popular categories of 2016 such as College photos & videos, Student life and Admission. In 2016, approximately 60% of the students aspired for College Rankings and 64% for College Student Reviews whereas the number changed to 78% and 73% respectively in the year 2019.
As per the study, authentic or verified College reviews given by students and College rankings published by credible sources are considered necessary information by students while researching.
6. Changing trends of the influencer platforms (other than Google) for students taking college admission decisions
- From the data of Shiksha survey 2016, there is a decline in the growth of traditional platforms compared to the online platforms over the last 2 years. Consumer behaviour is changing and students are now moving towards online platforms for credible information.
- College Listing & Ranking sites (such as Shiksha) and official website of the colleges are the top preferences of students pan India for sourcing authentic information such as College reviews, Fees & Scholarships, Admission details, College photos, College related Q&A. However in Southern India, Family/Friends (word-of-mouth) are as popular as the College listing sites and official website.
Mr. Vivek Jain, Chief Business Officer, Shiksha.com says, “It’s clearly visible that requirement for direct and authentic information from credible sources has increased over the years. Students prefer authentic or verified college reviews and listings, direct interaction with current students over traditional sources of information such as Student Fairs, Family/Friends and Print Advertisements which are losing their sheen as compared to the more popular online options. Foreseeing the growing need years ago, we, at Shiksha started working for today’s requirement and now Shiksha.com has more than 1.3 lakh authentic college reviews on its platform and has recently introduced a new integrated ranking mechanism to show the College Rankings released by renowned publishers without any bias.”
7. Top representatives of a college that students want to interact with for admission related information – Report says, 77% Aspirants prefer to interact with current students of colleges to get more information and resolve their doubts and confusions. Colleges should focus on interaction of their current students with prospective students for better engagement and higher conversions.
Shiksha has more than 1500 campus ambassadors across 800+ top Universities & Colleges in India, who address student doubts and queries related to admission in their respective colleges and courses.
8. Top concerns of students before taking admission in a college in a particular region - The Shiksha survey 2019 shows, financial concerns are by far the most important concern of the students across India except North and West where Quality of the teaching faculty becomes a broader concern. Most of these concerns are evenly spread across regions.
9. Top value-ads that students are looking for from a college before deciding on admission - As per Shiksha’s "Engineering Outlook 2019," Skill learning and Improved Placement, Internship opportunities are by far the most important requirements of Engineering aspirants while shortlisting their undergraduate college. Colleges can improve these parameters and can further use them as marketing propositions to influence student decisions.
The report also shows that requirements such as Work-ex while studying, Scholarship programs, Online/visual classes and Certification programs can also be an effective showcase for colleges to attract prospective students.
"As per the survey report, we can strongly state that the preferences of students have deeply changed over the last 2 years. Students are now clear with their approaches and preferences and are in the state of making smart decision for them. We believe the survey done by Shiksha will help Engineering colleges across India to take necessary steps to stay abreast with the changing requirement of the Engineering aspirants,” added Mr. Vivek Jain.
Download the full report at https://www.shiksha.com/public/engineering-outlook-survey-2019.pdf
About Shiksha.com: Shiksha is one of India’s leading career and college selection website for students who want to pursue higher education in India or abroad. The website attracts 8+ million visitors every month. Shiksha is a repository of reliable and authentic information for over 16,000 institutions, 1 lakh plus courses and has 1.3 lakh plus college reviews. Launched in 2008, Shiksha.com belongs to Info Edge (India) Ltd, the owner of established brands like Naukri.com, Jeevansathi.com, among several others.
Shiksha help students take informed decisions through innovative features for students like college reviews, campus representatives, easy search, Q&A, articles & e-books. Shiksha as a brand caters to students in the age group of 15-25 years from tier-1 to tier-4 cities who are aiming for any graduate/post graduate/diploma/degree course in India or Abroad.